Date:	Wed, 10 Aug 2011 10:42:35 +1000
From:	Ryan Mallon <rmallon@...il.com>
To:	"Murali K. Vemuri" <vemuri.muralikrishna@...il.com>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: kernel panic with simple driver

On 10/08/11 10:16, Murali K. Vemuri wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I have a small driver code with which I am randomly receiving kernel
> panic. Can someone help me what is the mistake here?
> The kernel panic is exactly caught to be at "add_timer (&my_timer) ".
> I am able to get the print "Kicking off the timer" when the panic
> happens.

It helps to post the panic message. Its hard to debug problems without them.

Where in add_timer is the panic occurring? It's only two lines, and one
of those is a BUG_ON. Are you hitting that? The other line is a call to
mod_timer and dereferences the timer pointer. Is the timer_list struct
you are passing to add_timer sane?

> Also, I could not observe any specific pattern in which the panic
> occurs. But it is purely random. So far I was able to reproduce the
> panic thrice out of 100+ attempts.

Do you have any concurrent access to the timer? If so you may be racing
on the between the test of timer_pending and the call to timer_add. In
general, I think you should call mod_timer rather than add_timer (see
the documentation in kernel/timer.c).

~Ryan