Date:	Thu, 11 Aug 2011 00:07:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Mahmood Naderan <nt_mahmood@...oo.com>
To:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>
Cc:	Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...otime.net>,
	"\"\"linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org\"\"" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"\"linux-mm@...ck.org\"" <linux-mm@...ck.org>
Subject: Re: running of out memory => kernel crash

>The default behavior is to kill all eligible and unkillable threads until
>there are none left to sacrifice (i.e. all kthreads and OOM_DISABLE).

In a simple test with virtualbox, I reduced the amount of ram to 300MB.
Then I ran "swapoff -a" and opened some applications. I noticed that the free
spaces is kept around 2-3MB and "kswapd" is running. Also I saw that disk
activity was very high.
That mean although "swap" partition is turned off, "kswapd" was trying to do
something. I wonder how that behavior can be explained?

>Ok, so you don't have a /proc/pid/oom_score_adj, so you're using a kernel
>that predates 2.6.36.
Yes, the srv machine that I posted those results, has kernel before 2.6.36

// Naderan *Mahmood;