Date:	Sat, 20 Aug 2011 02:47:34 +0200
From:	Sylvain Rochet <gradator@...dator.net>
To:	Jamie Lokier <jamie@...reable.org>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org, Sylvain Rochet <gradator@...dator.net>
Subject: Re: PROBLEM: 2.6.35.7 to 3.0 Inotify events missing

Hi Jamie,

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 12:37:56AM +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Oh dear, that's a security hole, if something is using inotify/dnotify
> to watch and assumes that file contents (on the same machine,
> i.e. server in this case) do not change if there's no event received.
>
> It also breaks cache applications which make the same assumption.
>
> I do quite like the idea of using it to break past fanotify security
> restrictions though ;-)

It also probably means that fanotify misses some events when a filesystem
is modified over NFS. If fanotify is used the way it is designed, i.e.
with an antiviruse software, this may be an interesting way to skip the
antiviruse check.

Here we go:

NFS server, run the fanotify example tool:

~/fanotify-example# ./fanotify -m /data/

NFS client, open a fd then do some I/O:

# exec 1> test
# ls -la
#

NFS server log:

/data/test: pid=1235 modify close(writable)

NFS server, cache clearing:

# echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

NFS client, more I/O:

# ls -la

NFS server log:

/data: pid=1234 modify close(writable)

We receive an event... which is obviously wrong. This is even worse than
no event at all, we receive an event about the wrong inode, the parent
inode of the modified file actually.

> Is a solution to open inotify watches on every file individually?  If
> so that seems quite severe.

This is what I am going to do, at least temporarily, I only need to
watch about a million file (and slowly counting).

The startup time to watch an entire filesystem using inotify already
require a full filesystem walk, watching all files and directories
instead of directories only will not change much because most of the
time is spent waiting I/O operations. This may however require a lot
more memory both on kernel side and userland side.

> Can it also be bypassed with sys_open_by_handle_at?

No clue, this should be checked but there is no evident reason that it
cannot be bypassed this way as well.

> Possible solution:
>
> One way to look at this as like NFS having a secret hard link to the
> file, which does not show up in st_nlink.
>
> Hard links are already a bit tricky with fsnotify and directory
> watches.  You can monitor a directory, but a file in it can change
> contents through another path.
>
> However, you can track changes of hard-linked files accurately by
> either putting a watch directly on all files whose st_nlink >= 2,
> and/or making sure you have watches on enough distinct directories
> that they contain st_nlink entries for the same file between them,
> because at least one of those directories will get an event.  This is
> quite practical: You watch the files directly, until such time as you
> have found all its links (if you ever do), then you can remove the
> direct file watches.

Yup, I agree.

> That gives me an idea to help with the NFS no-name watching:
>
> It looks like when a file is referenced by inode without a path, the
> problem is there's no path, so no directory inode to receive the
> event?

No filepath and no filename at all actually. There is no way to find the
(or "a" if the file is linked to more than one directory) filename other
than walking among all the directory tree to find where the inode is
linked. We need a directory entry (dirent) to send an event about a
modified file inside a watched directory.

> Then this can be solved, in principle (if there's no better way), by
> watching a "virtual directory" that gets all events for when the
> access doesn't have a parent directory.  There needs to be some way to
> watch it, and some way to get the appropriate file from the event (as
> there is no real directory.  Or maybe there could be a virtual
> filesystem (like /proc, /sys etc.) containing a magic directory that
> receives these inode-only events, such that lookups in that directory
> yield the affected file.  Exactly as if the directory contains a hard
> link to every file, perhaps a text encoding of the handles passed
> through sys_open_by_handle_at.

By doing that, we'll only get the inode nb as we cannot fetch the filename.

Sylvain

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (199 bytes)