Date:	Mon, 22 Aug 2011 17:03:27 +0100
From:	Anthony Wright <anthony@...rnetdata.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Boot stopped by MCE Hardware Error in 3.0.3, but earlier kernel versions
 work

I have a vanilla 3.0.3 kernel which works correctly on some hardware but
on one set of servers repeatedly fails to boot, and issues an MCE
Hardware Error. However, a 2.6.32 kernel from gentoo, and a 2.6.18
kernel with xen patches all boot fine on this hardware.

I have attached the netconsole log, and a copy of the kernel config. The
major feature of the kernel is that it's a 32 bit kernel with Xen Dom0
support enabled, but the error occurs when the kernel is run directly on
the bare metal, i.e. not under the xen hypervisor. The boot halts in a
similar place under the xen hypervisor, but doesn't output the last few
messages to the screen.

The server has a Supermicro X8DTL-iF Motherboard with Dual Gigabit LAN &
IPMI Remote Management, and the processor is a Xeon E5506

I don't have physical access to the hardware which makes things a little
more complex, but the chap I'm dealing with knows his way around linux well.

I'm stopped on this one and would appreciate any suggestions how I might
fix it or diagnose the fault more accurately.

thanks,

Anthony.

View attachment "netconsole.log" of type "text/plain" (6997 bytes)

View attachment "config" of type "text/plain" (77610 bytes)