Date:	Wed, 7 Sep 2011 13:09:10 +0100
From:	Bruce Stenning <b.stenning@...igovision.com>
To:	Tejun Heo <htejun@...il.com>
CC:	Mark Lord <kernel@...savvy.com>,
	"linux-ide@...r.kernel.org" <linux-ide@...r.kernel.org>,
	Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@...ox.com>
Subject: RE: sata_mv port lockup on hotplug (kernel 2.6.38.2)

Hi Tejun,

Sorry for sending so many emails yesterday; I blame the dental anaesthetic
I received in the morning for being so jumpy on the send button ;-)

> Can you please instrument the followings?
>
> * print the caller of scsi_eh_wakeup().  "%pF" w/ (void *)_RET_IP_
>   should do it.
>
> * print why scsi_eh is going back to sleep immediately.
>   ie. shost->host_failed, host_eh_scheduled, host_busy in
>   scsi_error_handler().  It would also be nice to add some printks
>   around schedule() and enable PRINTK_TIME.

I can certainly try this.  Could you confirm whether my thoughts about a race
between the scsi_eh thread and the wake-up are plausible?  I backtracked
yesterday because I thought the scsi_eh thread would get rescheduled naturally,
not realising that when the task state is TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE schedule() takes
the task off the run queue (so it needs to be explicitly woken.)

Here is my thinking again:

shost->host_eh_scheduled is read here in scsi_error_handler:

        set_current_state(TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE);
        while (!kthread_should_stop()) {
                if ((shost->host_failed == 0 && shost->host_eh_scheduled == 0) ||

There's no locking in scsi_error_handler (though functions it calls probably
claim locks.)

When scheduling an EH, scsi_schedule_eh takes the shost->host_lock, increments
shost->host_eh_scheduled, and then wakes the EH thread.  If this happens
between the scsi_eh thread reading host_eh_scheduled and sending itself back
to sleep (when the scsi_eh thread's state is TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE) nothing will
wake up the thread again and host_eh_scheduled will not get inspected.
host_eh_scheduled is stuck at 1 with the scsi_eh thread asleep, and it won't
get woken again because the ata port has been frozen and irqs are masked off.

Bruce.

Latest News at: http://www.indigovision.com/index.php/en/news.html