Date:	Sat, 10 Sep 2011 18:27:53 -0400
From:	Vladislav Bolkhovitin <vst@...b.net>
To:	open-iscsi@...glegroups.com
CC:	Mike Christie <michaelc@...wisc.edu>,
	Jens Axboe <jaxboe@...ionio.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Full duplex

Vladislav Bolkhovitin, on 09/10/2011 05:44 PM wrote:
> Vladislav Bolkhovitin, on 09/08/2011 09:55 PM wrote:
>> Mike Christie, on 09/02/2011 12:15 PM wrote:

>>> Yeah, we send from the iscsi_q workqueue and receive from the network
>>> softirq if the net driver supports NAPI.

>>> Did you do any lock profiliing and is the session->lock look the
>>> problem? It is taken in both the receive and xmit paths and also the
>>> queuecommand path.
>>
>> Just done it. /proc/lock_stat says that there is no significant contention for
>> session->lock.
>>
>> >From other side, session->lock is a spinlock, so, if it was the serialization
>> point, we would see big CPU consumption on the initiator. But we have a plenty of
>> CPU time there.
>>
>> So, there must be other serialization point.
>
> Update. Using sg_dd with blk_sgio=1 (SG_IO) instead of dd I was able to achieve
> bidi speed 92 MB/s in each direction.
>
> Thus, the iSCSI stack works as expected well and the serialization point must be
> somewhere higher in the block stack. Both buffered and direct dd demonstrate the
> same serialized behavior described above.

...even using the corresponding iSCSI device formatted in ext4 with the dd's
working over 2 _separate_ files.

In other words, apparently, for user space applications not smart enough to use sg
interface there is no way to use full duplex capability of the link. No tricks can
give them the double throughput.

I tried with Fibre Channel and see the same with the only difference that if the
same device from the same target imported as 2 LUNs (i.e. as multipath), both
those LUNs can work bidirectionally. In iSCSI you need to import this device from
2 separate iSCSI targets to achieve that.

Vlad