Date:	Fri, 9 Sep 2011 22:17:21 -0300
From:	Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@....eng.br>
To:	jyothi v <jyos.v.s@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: hw rng

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011, jyothi v wrote:
> Linux provides hardware random registry.
> I would like to know how is it useful.

You use something like this:
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=rng-tools

to deal with the entropy from the TRNG (/dev/hw_random) and feed it back to
the kernel, so that it becomes available to the rest of the system (the
kernel itself, and any normal randomness users that get it from /dev/random
and /dev/urandom).

Some hardware RNGs don't use /dev/hw_random, and require specific userspace
drivers instead of rng-tools.

> Is there any RNG system calls/APIs for generating random numbers at
> Linux user space?

There are some book-keeping ioctl() for /dev/random, which stuff like
rng-tools needs to use to feed entropy back to the kernel and to gauge the
amount of entropy the kernel has.

But to _read_ random data, you just do direct reads from /dev/random or
/dev/urandom.

> If I need random data at user space application, what should I do?

Read it from /dev/urandom if your userspace application would rather receive
the output of a kernel-shielded CRNG when system entropy is low instead of
blocking.  Otherwise, read it from /dev/random, which will block when system
entropy is too low to service the read request.

And get something like this if you will need too much high-quality random
data, or will need high-quality random data from a system that doesn't have
much keyboard and disk activity: http://www.entropykey.co.uk/

  Henrique Holschuh