Date:	Sun, 25 Sep 2011 16:53:03 +0200
From:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>
To:	Sarah Sharp <sarah.a.sharp@...ux.intel.com>
Cc:	linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org, linux-pci@...r.kernel.org,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: PME via interrupt or SCI mechanism?

On Thursday, September 22, 2011, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> [...]
> > > seconds of PCI suspend, for whatever reason.)
> > >
> > > Is there a way to tell if SCI is being used by a PCI device to generate
> > > PMEs?
> >
> > Yes, there is.  First, if the native PCIe PME is used (which means SCI isn't),
> > there will be entries like these in /proc/interrupts:
> >
> >  40:          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge      PCIe PME
> >  41:          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge      PCIe PME
> >  42:          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge      PCIe PME
> >
> > If they are not present, it means that the kernel is _trying_ to use SCI
> > for PME signaling.  In that case, you can check if the number of ACPI
> > interrupts in /proc/interrupts is increasing when you try to trigger the
> > events.
>
> Ok, here's what /proc/interrupts shows for my system:
>
>            CPU0       CPU1       CPU2       CPU3
>   0:         28          0          0          0  IR-IO-APIC-edge      timer
>   8:          1          0          0          0  IR-IO-APIC-edge      rtc0
>   9:          0          0          0          0  IR-IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi
>  16:        795          0          0          0  IR-IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb1
>  19:         16          0          0          0  IR-IO-APIC-fasteoi   firewire_ohci
>  23:         34          0          0          0  IR-IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb2
>  40:          0          0          0          0  DMAR_MSI-edge      dmar0
>  42:       2931          0          0          0  IR-PCI-MSI-edge      eth7
>  43:      13285          0          0          0  IR-PCI-MSI-edge      ahci
>  44:          0          0          0          0  IR-PCI-MSI-edge      xhci_hcd
>  45:        558          0          0          0  IR-PCI-MSI-edge      snd_hda_intel
>  46:        235          0        204          0  IR-PCI-MSI-edge      snd_hda_intel
>  47:        808          0          0          0  IR-PCI-MSI-edge      radeon
> NMI:          0          0          0          0   Non-maskable interrupts
> LOC:      14857      14209      44533      15822   Local timer interrupts
> SPU:          0          0          0          0   Spurious interrupts
> PMI:          0          0          0          0   Performance monitoring interrupts
> IWI:          0          0          0          0   IRQ work interrupts
> RES:      11671      13274       2835       4637   Rescheduling interrupts
> CAL:        210        311        396        470   Function call interrupts
> TLB:        287        242        135        296   TLB shootdowns
> TRM:          0          0          0          0   Thermal event interrupts
> THR:          0          0          0          0   Threshold APIC interrupts
> MCE:          0          0          0          0   Machine check exceptions
> MCP:          5          5          5          5   Machine check polls
> ERR:          0
> MIS:          0
>
> I don't see any PCIe PME entries, so can I assume that ACPI is trying to use

Yes.

> > In that case you can use the files under /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/
> > to see what GPEs are activated by the wakeup events.
>
> Ok, before I put the host controller into D3 by echoing auto to
> /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:14.0/power/control, catting those files in
> /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/ shows all zeros (and some enabled GPEs).
>
> After I enable runtime PM for the PCI device, wait for it to go into D3,
> and then plug a new USB host controller into an external hub under xHCI,
> I see the count in the file gpe0D increase:
>
> sarah@...on:/sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts$ cat gpe0D
>   645925   disabled

Well, apparently, the GPE is disabled, although it should be enabled
at this point if it is supposed to be a wakeup GPE for the controller.

> But the host controller is never brought out of D3, and the port status
> change events was never reported.  The dmesg from the run is attached,
> with some additional debugging I added to the PCI and ACPI core.  The
> part where the host controller first goes into D3 is on line 3521.
>
> I'm starting to think that the ACPI tables for this platform are not
> correct.  The BIOS guys haven't let me know whether wake from D3 is
> actually supported by the BIOS yet (this platform is still under
> development).  The disassembled ACPI tables are attached.

Without looking at the tables at the moment (I'll do that later),
I think that they are missing the information that GPE 0D is a wakeup
GPE for the xHCI device.

> In digging through the ACPI code, I noticed that acpi_bus_get_flags()
> looks for the ACPI methods _PR0 or _PS0 and sets
> device->flags.power_manageable to 1 if either of those methods are
> successfully invoked.  When I deassembled the ACPI tables, I didn't see
> either method for any of the USB host controllers in the system.
> device->flags.power_manageable is checked later when the runtime PM
> system attempts to put the PCI device into a lower state, but it seems
> to be ignored?  Is it supposed to be ignored?

Hmm, not really.  I'll have a look at that later.

> I'm wondering if both native PCIe PME and SCI PME generation are not
> supported by the PCIe device, why does runtime PM put the xHCI host
> controller into D3 when power/control is set to 'auto'?

Because it doesn't require that the devices support remote wakeup to
be put into low power states.  User space may simply want to save energy
by letting the device to go into D3 and it will wake it up later by
writing "on" into power/control, for example.

Thanks,
Rafael