Date:	Wed, 12 Oct 2011 20:07:42 -0700
From:	mark gross <markgross@...gnar.org>
To:	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
Cc:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>, markgross@...gnar.org,
	NeilBrown <neilb@...e.de>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	John Stultz <john.stultz@...aro.org>, arve@...roid.com,
	amit.kucheria@...aro.org, farrowg@...ibm.com,
	"Dmitry Fink (Palm GBU)" <Dmitry.Fink@...m.com>,
	linux-pm@...ts.linux-foundation.org, khilman@...com,
	Magnus Damm <damm@...nsource.se>, mjg@...hat.com,
	peterz@...radead.org
Subject: Re: [markgross@...ngar.org: [RFC] wake up notifications and suspend
 blocking (aka more wakelock stuff)]

On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 04:07:01PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Oct 2011, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > sometimes devices that are not wake up sources need critical sections
> > > where suspend is a problem.
>
> Mark, can you give some examples?  This isn't the same as the firmware
> update thing, is it?  That deserves to be handled by a completely
> separate mechanism.

The biggest example I know of is any usb gadget implementation while
connected to a USB host.  If the device is connected to the USB bus then
it needs to not suspend because it cannot respond to the USB commands
for bus power.  i.e. if its connected to a laptop and the suspend the
laptop the gadget needs to handle the USB protocol packets.

Also, when charging battery under OS control we don't want to suspend
because it will be hard to respond to thermal events  or changing
battery conditions if the system is in suspend.

> > > The devices that I've seen that need to block suspend don't have a
> > > communication interface to user mode.
> > >
> > > But, you are right the devices that need this sort of thing could
> > > register as wakeup sources and block suspend as well.
> > >
> > > FWIW This part of the patch set was to wrap up a proposal I got last
> > > year from some folks to try to provide somewhat compatible semantics to
> > > wakelock's for the android and linux kernel community.
> > >
> > > I include it for completeness.
>
> Although many of these problems could be solved by adopting a suitable
> protocol in userspace, currently there is no such protocol.  Even if
> one did exist, the process of getting all the relevant programs to
> adopt it would take quite a while.  This is a case where a problem can
> be solved either in the kernel or in userspace, and the in-kernel
> solution may be simpler.

I do think a better solution would involve some kernel coordination.

I don't want to split hairs on if its 100% possible to implement a
correct solution only in user mode.  but, I think there are corner cases
that may be hard or impossible to get right with only user mode.  See
gadget issue above.  Not all gadgets have a user mode daemon backing up
the kernel part do they?

--mark