Date:	Tue, 25 Oct 2011 16:37:59 +0800
From:	hagar <hagar@...et.net.au>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
CC:	Dave Jones <davej@...hat.com>,
	Dominik Brodowski <linux@...inikbrodowski.net>,
	"\"H. Peter Anvin\" <hpa@...or.com>Benjamin Herrenschmidt
	<benh@...nel.crashing.org>Paul Mackerras" <paulus@...ba.org>
Subject: Kernel Power management ?? turning off used devices that are in use.

Every time my computer is idle for about 30 sec's  the USB subsystem
completely switches off
and the eth0 goes down if there are no active computers.

This has become a major problem because the dhcp server can no longer
listen and the OpenVPN server crashes on that interface
Resulting in an unusable network.

The USB subsystem powers off every USB device and resets them on activity.

cat /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/autosuspend
-1

Not all devices behave well when doing this.
The mouse will not wake up the system when this happens.

The USB problem did exist in the 2.6 kernels - but on a longer delay -
several minutes.
But I am sure that the network problem did not exist ( At least it did
not show up )

The syslog trace always starts with "CPU 1 is now offline"

I have a 64bit Dual core 2.13 GHz system with 8G of memory, USB and 2
Intel Corporation 82573E/L Gigabit Ethernet Controllers on board.
I use a PCI Radeon HD 5000 Series with 3 screens at 1280x1024 - to a
Desktop of 3840x1024 ( OpenSource Radeon driver )
a PCIe Creative Labs [SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio]
and a PCIe Hauppauge WinTV-HVR2200

I have had to create a script -
/root/RestartNetwork
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/logger -p daemon.err -t "Network Check" "Eth0 is down -
Restarting Network"
/etc/init.d/networking stop
/etc/init.d/networking start
/etc/init.d/openvpn restart
/etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server restart
/sbin/route | /bin/grep -q eth0 || /usr/bin/logger -p daemon.err -t
"Network Check" "Eth0 is still down"

and run it in the crontab -
*/1 * * * * /sbin/route | /bin/grep -q eth0 || /root/RestartNetwork

just to keep the network up.

View attachment "KernelBug.txt" of type "text/plain" (100599 bytes)