Date:	Fri, 04 Nov 2011 14:56:25 +0800
From:	hagar <hagar@...et.net.au>
To:	lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
CC:	Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>,
	Srivatsa Vaddagiri <vatsa@...ibm.com>,
	Joel Schopp <jschopp@...tin.ibm.com>,
	Ashok Raj <ashok.raj@...el.com>,
	Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@...ibm.com>
Subject: Fwd: Kernel Power management ?? turning off used devices that are
 in use.

I have traced this behaviour to the cpu hotplug code.

I need to be able to either switch off cpu hotpluging - or at least
prevent hotplugging certain cpu's

there should really be a mincpu's option or better a
nohotplug="0,1,2,5,7,etc" option.

It would appear that cpu1 is the default cpu for those interrupts - and
they are not being transferred to cpu0 properly.

I have tried the kernel parameters noapic nosmp maxcpus acpi=off
possible_cpus=2 etc - with no success

I did find a flaw in "possible_cpus=0" - this prevents the kernel
booting (no cpus available )
This option should be set to a minimum of 1

I also tried to switch off acpi in the bios - no effect.

the nosmp option still used SMP code
It actually switched back to SMP code to offline cpu1
which kinda defeated the purpose of the option.

If there is streaming video when the cpu gos offline - then the stream
is cut off and frozen.

This behaviour is becoming intolerable.