Date:	Sat, 05 Nov 2011 08:07:37 +0800
From:	hagar <hagar@...et.net.au>
To:	Joel Schopp <jschopp@...tin.ibm.com>
CC:	lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>,
	Srivatsa Vaddagiri <vatsa@...ibm.com>,
	Zwane Mwaikambo <zwane@....linux.org.uk>,
	Nathan Lynch <nathanl@...tin.ibm.com>,
	Ashok Raj <ashok.raj@...el.com>,
	Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@...ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Kernel Power management ?? turning off used devices that
 are in use.

On 04/11/11 23:24, Joel Schopp wrote:

>> I need to be able to either switch off cpu hotpluging - or at least
>> prevent hotplugging certain cpu's
>>
>> there should really be a mincpu's option or better a
>> nohotplug="0,1,2,5,7,etc" option.
>>
>> It would appear that cpu1 is the default cpu for those interrupts -
>> and they are not being transferred to cpu0 properly.
>>
> The proper way to fix this is to find why the interrupts are not being
> transferred and fix that.  Forcing cpus to not be hotpluggable is just
> hiding the problem.

But it does allow the computer to become usable.
At the moment it is extremely borderline.
So much so that I would rather a non smp kernel and run off one cpu.

I have difficulty keeping the network up.
I have to run a cron job every minute to check the network and restart
it if necessary.
Watching an hour long streaming video is impossible without moving the
usb mouse constantly.

I am even considering a change of OS due to this problem.
>> I have tried the kernel parameters noapic nosmp maxcpus acpi=off
>> possible_cpus=2 etc - with no success
>>
>> I did find a flaw in "possible_cpus=0" - this prevents the kernel
>> booting (no cpus available )
>> This option should be set to a minimum of 1
>>
> We allow users to shoot themselves in the foot if they do silly
> things.  This is a design decision.

Quite amusing.