Date:	Wed, 09 Nov 2011 16:11:42 -0800
From:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
To:	Andrei Warkentin <awarkentin@...are.com>
CC:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: /dev/mem "unbounded?"

On 11/09/2011 02:38 PM, Andrei Warkentin wrote:
> Hi Peter,

Well, that mechanism is broken.  The way it *should* work is that any
region which is system RAM should be denied access, and the rest is
accessible.  The current behavior is a hack due to the behavior of some
old versions of Xorg, but that has long been fixed.

> Do you think there is any value in specifying something like
> CONFIG_DEV_MEM_ONLY_CLAIMED, which would only allow accesses
> until the end of the last range claimed with request_region (but
> could, of course, well be unmapped). This will allow accesses to
> any unclaimed "holes" in between. I.e., if you have 0-100m claimed,
> followed by 300-700m claimed, then reading /dev/mem will work up
> until you reach 700m.

No.  If you don't know what you're accessing, you should not be touching
/dev/mem under any circumstances.  Odds are that even if you're only
reading, there are registers with side effects in there somewhere.

	-hpa