Date:	Sun, 20 Nov 2011 11:56:46 +0000
From:	Antonio Marcos López Alonso
	<amlopezalonso@...il.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: VIA-Rhine II looses connectivity

Hi all,

Since several releases ago I'm experiencing apparently random network
disconnects due to some VIA-Rhine II related issue, having to reboot my Debian
box (this was reported as Debian bugs #641919, #549606). By now, I'm unable
to discover the exact moment in which the disconnects happens but seems to be
somewhat related to network activity degree. The phenomenon brings lots of:

via-rhine 0000:00:12.0: eth0: Transmit timed out, status 0003, PHY status
786d, resetting...
via-rhine 0000:00:12.0: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1

In earlier releases it seemed that heavy network activity (such as torrent)
seemed to ease the problem. Also setting irqpoll and/or noapic options seemed
to help a bit but didn't completely fix the problem.

Now in recent releases the problem seems to increases its happening
probability with heavy network activity (the opposite behavior). Of course,
this observation is completely subjective.

I'm attaching a kernel oops log. In the meantime I'll test again the noapic
option.

Thanks for any advice.
Antonio

View attachment "kernel.log" of type "text/x-log" (2365 bytes)