Date:	Sun, 11 Dec 2011 18:45:30 +0000
From:	Peter martin <peter@...adhome.com>
To:	unlisted-recipients:; (no To-header on input)
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] vtunerc: virtual DVB device - is it ok to NACK driver because
 of worrying about possible misusage?

One thing I have not seen addressed here is security. I've had a brief
scan of the code, but there does not appear to be any mechanism to
authenticate/authorise remote access to the vtunerc devices. In a home
entertainment environment, this is not too serious, but In a non-closed
network, for example a commercial installation in a hotel, what is to
stop a rogue client from accessing a tuner and potentially causing
mischief by changing settings, More seriously pulling a full MPTS of
decrypted content from a CI card, which would make content providers
most unhappy!

I don't know enough about kernel modules doing networking, but do the
packets go through the iptables route, and do things like DSCP still get
taken note of?

vtunerc sounds like a neat idea, but I am worried by the back doors it
opens up. Sorry if I've missed something obvious here!

Pete Martin