Date:	Mon, 19 Dec 2011 15:46:38 +0000
From:	David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>
To:	David Gibson <david@...son.dropbear.id.au>
Cc:	Joerg Roedel <joerg.roedel@....com>,
	Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@...hat.com>, aik@...abs.ru,
	benh@...nel.crashing.org, chrisw@...hat.com, agraf@...e.de,
	scottwood@...escale.com, B08248@...escale.com,
	rusty@...tcorp.com.au, iommu@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
	qemu-devel@...gnu.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	joro@...tes.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Device isolation infrastructure v2

On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 11:11 +1100, David Gibson wrote:
>   They have no inbuilt concept
> of domains (though we could fake in software in some circumstances).

That sentence doesn't make much sense to me.

Either you're saying that every device behind a given IOMMU is in *one*
domain (i.e. there's one domain per PCI host bridge), or you're saying
that each device has its *own* domain (maximum isolation, but still
perhaps not really true if you end up with PCIe-to-PCI bridges or broken
hardware such as the ones we've been discovering, where multifunction
devices do their DMA from the wrong function).

Either way, you *do* have domains. You just might not have thought about
it before.

--
dwmw2

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/x-pkcs7-signature" (5818 bytes)