Date:	Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:07:31 +0400
From:	Pavel Emelyanov <xemul@...allels.com>
To:	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>
CC:	Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@...il.com>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	Alexey Dobriyan <adobriyan@...il.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Andrey Vagin <avagin@...nvz.org>, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Glauber Costa <glommer@...allels.com>,
	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>, Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>,
	Matt Helsley <matthltc@...ibm.com>,
	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...nel.org>,
	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>,
	Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>,
	"Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu" <Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu>
Subject: Re: [RFC] syscalls, x86: Add __NR_kcmp syscall

On 01/18/2012 01:40 AM, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@...il.com> writes:

>>> Why on Earth would user space need to know which order in memory certain
>>> kernel objects are?
>>>
>>> Keep in mind that this is *exactly* the kind of information which makes
>>> rootkits easier.
>>>

>> Hmm, indeed this might help narrow down the target address I fear. So
>> after some conversation with Pavel I think we can try to live with just
>> one result -- is objects are at same location in kernel memory or not.
>> The updated version is below. Please review if you get a chance. Thanks
>> a lot for comments!
>
> Seriously?
>
> Or is this a case where you get something in then when people start
> seriously using it and the performance is sucks badly you go back to
> something like the current system call?
>
> How are you going to ensure the performance does not degrade badly when
> looking across a large number of processes?

We can compare the e.g. files' target inodes (ino + dev) and positions and
comparing each-to-each only for those having these pairs equal. Looking at
the existing large containers with tens thousands of fd-s we have this
gives us maximum 6 files to compare, and performing 15 syscalls for this suits
us for now.

Of course, if you manage to persuade Peter that his memory ordering concerns
are not real problems _now_, that would be great, but, yet again -- simple
{eq, ne} suit us for now, providing we can extend this API on {eq, le, gt}
in the future.