Date:	Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:31:54 -0500
From:	"David H. Durgee" <dhdurgee@...izon.net>
To:	Mandeep Singh Baines <msb@...omium.org>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Request for assistance - excessive kworker CPU wakeups

Mandeep Singh Baines wrote:
> David H. Durgee (dhdurgee@...izon.net) wrote:
>> Mandeep Singh Baines wrote:

>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>> I don't know the cpufreq code that well, but it seem that this
>>> workqueue is schedule periodically. You
>>> can examine the sampling rate via /sys:
>>>
>>> $ grep "" /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate*
>>>
>>> Just curious, are you running nohz:
>>>
>>> $ dmesg | grep -i nohz
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Mandeep
>> dhdurgee@...-Z560 ~/Downloads $ grep ""
>> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate*
>> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate:10000
>> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate_max:4294967295
>> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate_min:10000
>> dhdurgee@...-Z560 ~/Downloads $ dmesg | grep -i nohz
>> dhdurgee@...-Z560 ~/Downloads $
>>
>> Does this explain what I am seeing?  Does this square with the
>> observations in my spreadsheet?  Does this suggest a means of
>> reducing these excessive wakeups?  Is there more information I can
>> provide to suggest a course of action?
>>
> IIUC, you should be seeing 100 such events per second * number of CPUs.
> Is that what you are seeing? You could reduce this by changing HZ. Maybe
> change to CONFIG_HZ_100 in your .config from CONFIG_HZ_1000. That
> should reduce the number of events by a factor of 10.
>
> Regards,
> Mandeep
Looking at /boot/config-2.6.38-11-generic I see the following:

CONFIG_HZ_100=y
# CONFIG_HZ_250 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_300 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_1000 is not set
CONFIG_HZ=100

So it appears that this is already set.  Looking at the raw data I
collected and summarized I see 22005.355346 in the first record and
22031.110816 in the last record.  Am I correct in interpreting this to
mean that 25.76 seconds elapsed while data was collected?  During the
collection I saw 1,993 total idle do_dbs_timer calls.  I saw a total of
2,754 wakeups for all events.  You can get the details from the files I
referenced.

Dave