Date:	Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:29:09 -0800
From:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
To:	"linux-kbuild@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kbuild@...r.kernel.org>
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Subject: Kconfig and toolchain dependencies

Right now, we don't have a good way to encode toolchain dependencies in
Kconfig.  This makes it hard to add optional features which depend on
newer toolchain features.

If we just add them, then it breaks all*config and randconfig on
platforms with the older toolchains unless the user manually adds
exclusion rules.  This is bad for testing.

It seems relatively straightforward to do if we were to manifest some
CONFIG_ variables based on the target toolchain, e.g.

CONFIG_GCC=0x040601

... and perhaps do other tests.  I suspect we would run the tests less
frequently than what we do right now with the tests embedded in the
Makefile.

Does anyone have a feel for if this would be a good addition, and if so
where it best fits into the chain?

	-hpa