Date:	Wed, 8 Feb 2012 00:28:20 +0000
From:	Anton Altaparmakov <anton@...era.com>
To:	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>,
	Szabolcs Szakacsits <szaka@...era.com>,
	Janne Kalliomäki <janne@...era.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Direct i/o changes break all non-GPL file systems

Hi Alan,

I don't really want to get into this discussion due to the likelihood of people using it as an excuse to start a flamewar which we can really do without.

Linus has previously stated that he is happy for binary kernel modules to exist and I believe that a kernel module calling EXPORT_SYMBOL() functions is the equivalent of a user space program executing system calls.  I do not believe this has even been decided in court so let us please not start a flamewar on the subject!  I am sure both points of view have their merits but unless they are tested in court there is no point in wasting everyones time discussing the subject to death.  That has been done many times before ad nauseum.

Can we please let this sort of debate be and just focus on the question whether this breakage for non-GPL modules was intentional or accidental and if the latter whether the author, namely Christoph, would be willing to reconsider his choice and allow the symbols to become generically exported, in which case we can return to the state we had before by exporting the two symbols to all modules.

Thank you (and apologise for top posting).

Best regards,

	Anton

Linux NTFS maintainer, http://www.linux-ntfs.org/