Date:	Wed, 22 Feb 2012 17:26:26 -0800
From:	Arun Sharma <asharma@...com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
CC:	<ja@....bg>, <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, <shemminger@...tta.com>
Subject: Re: route add default fails with ESRCH?

On 2/22/12 3:56 PM, David Miller wrote:

> It breaks because that script sequence quoted above depends upon the
> order in which the routes are listed.  Since fib_hash and fib_trie use
> different datastructures, the order in which route entries are dumped
> will not be the same and this is completely unavoidable.

Here's a minimal repro case:

# ip route flush default
# route add default gw 192.168.143.2
SIOCADDRT: No such process

This fails for me on both 2.6.38 and 3.2.

I think the dependency we have is the actual format of the default route
entry:

fib_hash:

# ip route
<bunch of routes>
throw default

fib_trie:

# ip route
default via 192.168.143.2 dev eth0  proto static
<bunch of routes>

when the output was piped to awk '{ print $1 }' we ended up deleting the
default route for fib_trie case, but not the fib_hash case.

I'll just fix up our scripts. Thanks for looking into it.

  -Arun