Date:	Wed, 07 Mar 2012 19:42:57 -0800
From:	Darren Hart <dvhart@...ux.intel.com>
To:	jon@...shouse.co.uk
CC:	Huang Shijie <shijie8@...il.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Random process lockup on ARM board: alsa-lib-1.0.25, FUTEX_WAIT_PRIVATE

On 03/07/2012 01:22 PM, Jonathan Andrews wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 12:07 -0800, Darren Hart wrote:
>>
>> On 02/29/2012 01:12 AM, Huang Shijie wrote:
>>> Hi ,
>>>
>>> I meet a similar problem with the latest futex code.
>>>
>>> I play the video and the processes will hang at the futex.
>>
>> Are either of you able to bisect the kernel?
> I'm not a kernel hacker what do you mean ?

Google for "git bisect". It's a way to divide-and-conquer and find
exactly where the kernel stops working for you. You would need a known
working kernel though. If you don't have a known working kernel, then
this is either a long standing bug (not a regression) or, I suspect more
likely, a locking bug or race in the userspace code.

When you see your thread stuck in FUTEX_WAIT_PRIVATE, that in and of
itself is not indication of a problem. It's waiting there to be woken
(FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE) by another thread in your application. So the
questions you should be asking are:

Why is it blocked?
	pthread_cond_wait()?
	pthread_mutex_lock()?

Why isn't it being woken up?
	Did you call pthread_cond_broadcast() without taking the mutex
	first?

There are other API that use futexes under the covers. You should be
able to sort out where in your application your threads are blocked and
thus determine which API you are using - and from there how you were
expecting that to get woken up. These calls may be being made from
within ALSA, in which case you may need to elicit the help of the ALSA
developers.

--
Darren

--