Date:	Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:38:46 -0400
From:	Jonathan McCune <jonmccune@....edu>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	"Jonathan M. McCune" <jonmccune@....edu>
Subject: sysfs binary attribute API flux

Greetings,

I maintain a Linux kernel module for a research project*, where it is
necessary to move some binary data from userspace into the kernel. I
have been using sysfs's 'struct bin_attribute'.  Unfortunately, every
few kernel versions, my code breaks because of a change in the
definition of some elements in this struct.  For example, kernel
versions 2.6.20, 2.6.32, and 2.6.38 each define the 'read' and 'write'
function pointers differently. I will spare the inline diff, but they
can each be seen here:

http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.32.59/include/linux/sysfs.h#L65
http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.38.8/include/linux/sysfs.h#L88
http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.20.21/include/linux/sysfs.h#L54

My question: is there some other interface that I should be using?  Am
I using sysfs incorrectly?  All of the documentation I've been able to
find seems to strongly encourage the use of sysfs.

http://kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/sysfs.txt

cc appreciated in reply.

Many thanks,
-Jon