Date:	Sun, 1 Apr 2012 22:03:40 +1000
From:	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Subject: Re: Linux 3.4-rc1

Hi Linus,

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 16:58:35 -0700 Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:

> One thing worth pointing out is that the header file cleanups were
> nice, but let's never do them again. Or at least not for a release or
> two. They caused a lot of merge conflicts and small annoyances, and
> while I'm ok with resolving merges, it was annoying enough that I
> don't want to go through that immediately again. I know they also
> annoyed some submaintainers that were complaining to me about the
> pain.
>
> That said, I do think they helped. The <asm/system.h> disintegration
> (and to a smaller degree the bug.h cleanups) may have been painful,
> but it definitely cleaned things up. So I guess we *will* do things
> like this in the future again, I just want to forget about the pain
> before we embark on this next time. Ok?

Well, we may have avoided some of that pain (or at least moved the pain
out of your tree while you were merging everything else) by putting the
system.h disintegration into linux-next for at least a day or two ...

Oh, and you seem to have missed the fix up patch I posted for the powerpc
fallout from that.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@...b.auug.org.au