Date:	Fri, 25 May 2012 10:57:59 +0530
From:	Anshuman Khandual <khandual@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	eranian@...gle.com,
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <arnaldo.melo@...il.com>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: perf record: why we used type casting of (uint64_t *) instead
 of int

This code is breaking in powerpc systems.

(1) 'opt->value' gets updated inside the function parse_branch_stack via
    dereferencing a (uint64_t *) type casted pointer.

(2) But the value is not accessible when we again use opt->value via
    dereferencing a (int *) type casted pointer.

(3) As a result record.opts.branch_stack remains 0 and unchanged by parse_branch_stack

This is caused by bit representation of 'uint64_t' and 'int' in powerpc systems. Bytes update
for the data (when accessed trough (uint64_t *) casting) is no longer available to the
data when accessed through (int *) type casting. Verified this from bit representation of
the data (accessed through both type casting methods).

However this problem does not seem to be present on an Intel box. Integer dereferencing of
the opt->value still gives the value which was updated as (uint64_t).

All this problem would not have been there if we had used (int *) instead of (uint64_t *) in
the first place inside parse_branch_stack function.