Date:	Fri, 15 Jun 2012 20:03:37 -0700
From:	Yinghai Lu <yinghai@...nel.org>
To:	Ulrich Drepper <drepper@...il.com>,
	Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>, jbarnes@...tuousgeek.org
	lenb@...nel.org, x86@...nel.org, linux-pci@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: SNB PCI root information

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Ulrich Drepper <drepper@...il.com> wrote:
> The PCI roots in multi-socket SNB are part of specific sockets.  This
> means optimization will need to know which socket the root is part of
> and therefore which cores have direct access as opposed to over one or
> more QPI links.
>
> I tried to find this information in the /sys filesystem in kernels up
> to the current upstream kernel.  It seems there is actually nothing
> like this.
>
> There are the files /sys/devices/pci*/*/local_cpus which should
> contain this information.  For each device we would be able to get the
> information about the local CPUs.
>
> The SPARC OF handling seems to set the field, some Intel drivers seem
> to try to do it in a different way.
>
> The problem I have seen (at least on a Dell R620) is that the
> dev_to_code() function returns -1 which indicates that no node
> information is stored.
>
> If I understand the code correctly, the numa_node field can be set
> explicitly but is mostly inherited from the underlying device (bus
> etc).  Does this mean that the locality information should come from
> the same place where the PCI root data structure is initialized?
>
> This happens, if I'm not mistaken, in the ACPI table parsing.  I've
> disassembled the DSDT table and didn't find anything like this type of
> information.  At least I didn't see it.  I also couldn't find anything
> in the ACPI 5.0 spec.

yes, you should have _PXM for root bus in DSDT.

> The questions are:
> a) am I missing something?
> b) do BIOSes (perhaps from other manufacturers) provide the information?
> c) can we get this fixed?

get updated BIOS.

> d) can we interpolate the information for platforms where the BIOSes
> don't have the information?

in arch/x86/pci/acpi.c::pci_acpi_scan_root(), we have

        node = -1;
#ifdef CONFIG_ACPI_NUMA
        pxm = acpi_get_pxm(device->handle);
        if (pxm >= 0)
                node = pxm_to_node(pxm);
        if (node != -1)
                set_mp_bus_to_node(busnum, node);
        else
#endif
                node = get_mp_bus_to_node(busnum);

        if (node != -1 && !node_online(node))
                node = -1;

        info = kzalloc(sizeof(*info), GFP_KERNEL);
        if (!info) {
                printk(KERN_WARNING "pci_bus %04x:%02x: "
                       "ignored (out of memory)\n", domain, busnum);
                return NULL;
        }

        sd = &info->sd;
        sd->domain = domain;
        sd->node = node;

So kernel will check _PXM at first, or will use pre-probe host bridge info.
Now we only have that for amd k8 cpu.

We used to have same for intel IOH nehalem,  and get bless from intel.
but that get removed at some point.
I have one local internal similar patch for SNB iio for crossing check
if BIOS set correctly.
but I don't think i will try to get blessing from intel to publish it.

So please get one updated bios from your vendor.

or we could add command line to pass those info, just like fake numa interface.

Thanks

Yinghai