Date:	Sun, 17 Jun 2012 21:07:00 +0100
From:	Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop@...world.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	Trond.Myklebust@...app.com
Subject: nfs3 problem with -rc{2,3}

 I'm seeing problems writing to shared directories mounted as nfs3.
Wondering if anyone else is seeing similar problems ?

 I noticed this last week with -rc2 (my first new kernel since
3.4.0), but haven't managed to find a minimal test case to replicate
it.

 The first problem was with firefox - I use it to download tarballs
and patches to a shared /sources.  The first download worked, maybe
also another, but some time later one stalled and firefox stopped
refreshing its window.  Looked as if it successfully created
packagename.tar.gz.part, but with an empty packagename.tar.gz.

 I killed firefox, then I used wget to download to a local filesystem
and then tried to cp it to the shared /sources - cp hung indefinitely,
apparently after completing the transfer.

 At this time I tried to run a script *in* /sources which hung
trying to rm a file [ worked fine when I killed it, ssh'd to the
server, and ran it locally ].

 I've also got regular backup scripts which wrap rsync writes to a
different writable directory on the server.  These stall with -rc2
and -rc3, and get killed by SIGINT when I eventually reboot or shut
down.

 I tried using only the rsync command and playing with just an rsync
of a single file in a directory, but that doesn't provoke the
problem.  I've also tried various attempts to cp or move a file
to the shared directory, but again without problems.  It seems that
things are fine until something provokes the problem, then all
updates stall.  This makes it a bit hard to get a reliable and
simple testcase.

 I suppose I'll have to start to bisect using the backup script as
my test case (booted rc2 earlier, did nothing except ssh and allow
fcron to run it - it stalled.  built rc3, booted that, fcron tried
to run the incomplete backup, again it has stalled).

 Config from rc2 attached, any suggestions are welcome.

ĸen

View attachment "config-3.5-rc2" of type "text/plain" (69482 bytes)