Date:	Fri, 13 Jul 2012 06:35:01 +1000
From:	NeilBrown <neilb@...e.de>
To:	Drew <drew.kay@...il.com>
Cc:	Zdenek Kaspar <zkaspar82@...il.com>, linux-raid@...r.kernel.org,
	dm-devel@...hat.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Linux RAID subsystem future

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 13:28:24 -0700 Drew <drew.kay@...il.com> wrote:

> > Hello lists,
> >
> > I noticed recent patches added MD RAID compatibility into the DM
> > subsystem. Is there a valid reason to duplicate efforts ?
> >
> > Hopefully its not silent preparation step for DM takeover. Can someone
> > shed more light on this topic ?
> >
> > TIA, Z.
>
> I'm not a developer by any stretch of the word so take what I say with
> a grain of salt.
>
> I think it's more just a case of dm using md's RAID algorithms, which
> IMHO are better tested, to support fakeraid controllers like Intel's
> Matrix RAID. Besides, we're all one big happy linux family so why not
> borrow your brother's socks? :-)

Indeed!

It isn't duplication of effort - it is avoiding or removing duplication of
effort.  That's the theory any way.

There is no "DM takeover" - just engineers working together to try to find
optimal solutions.

NeilBrown

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (829 bytes)