Date:	Wed, 18 Jul 2012 12:03:12 +1000
From:	Michael Ellerman <michael@...erman.id.au>
To:	Matt Evans <matt@...abs.org>
Cc:	kvm@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	penberg@...nel.org, kvm-ppc@...r.kernel.org,
	prerna@...ux.vnet.ibm.com,
	David Gibson <david@...son.dropbear.id.au>
Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] Use kernel supplied MMU info for kvm tool

On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 10:33 +0100, Matt Evans wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On 2012-07-17 06:00, Michael Ellerman wrote:
>
> > This is a series for kvmtool that uses a newish kernel API to get
> > MMU info, which is then fed to the guest.
> >
> > Currently we just make a good guess based on the PVR, but that is
> > potentially flakey in a few ways. The most notable is that if you
> > don't
> > specify hugepages we don't boot - because the guest is told we
> > support
> > 16M pages, but we don't really (on HV).
>
> Just had a look, all good.  Thanks for tidying some old FIXMEs,
> especially the page/segment DT props encoding grot -- and the designated
> inits in the cpuinfo struct, whew, I heard the scream on IRC.  Sorry.
> ;-)

Thanks Matt, no worries about the grot, there was no better way when you
wrote the original code.

The lack of designated inits did bite me quite well, while bisecting I
accidentally dropped the hunk that updated the struct definition but
kept the hunk that changed the initialisation - leading to a VM with a
slb size of 512000000 (tb_freq) etc. :)

cheers