Date:	Thu, 20 Sep 2012 11:26:51 -0700
From:	Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>
To:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
Cc:	containers@...ts.linux-foundation.org, cgroups@...r.kernel.org,
	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.org>,
	Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.cz>,
	Paul Mackerras <paulus@...ba.org>,
	"Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...stprotocols.net>,
	Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>,
	Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch>, Paul Turner <pjt@...gle.com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, serge.hallyn@...onical.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] cgroup TODOs

Hello,

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 06:33:15PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> [grr.  why does gmane scramble addresses?]

You can append /raw to the message url and see the raw mssage.

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.containers/23802/raw

> >   I think this level of flexibility should be enough for most use
> >   cases.  If someone disagrees, please voice your objections now.
>
> OK, I'll bite.
>
> I have a server that has a whole bunch of cores.  A small fraction of
> those cores are general purpose and run whatever they like.  The rest
> are tightly controlled.
>
> For simplicity, we have two cpusets that we use.  The root allows all
> cpus.  The other one only allows the general purpose cpus.  We shove
> everything into the general-purpose-only cpuset, and then we move
> special stuff back to root.  (We also shove some kernel threads into a
> non-root cpuset using the 'cset' tool.)

Using root for special stuff probably isn't a good idea and moving
bound kthreads into !root cgroups is already disallowed.

> Enter systemd, which wants a hierarchy corresponding to services.  If we
> were to use it, we might end up violating its hierarchy.
>
> Alternatively, if we started using memcg, then we might have some tasks
> to have more restrictive memory usage but less restrictive cpu usage.
>
> As long as we can still pull this off, I'm happy.

IIUC, you basically want just two groups w/ cpuset and use it for
loose cpu ioslation for high priority jobs.  Structure-wise, I don't
think it's gonna be a problem although using root for special stuff
would need to change.

Thanks.

--
tejun