Date:	Thu, 27 Sep 2012 14:03:57 +1000
From:	Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>
To:	zwu.kernel@...il.com
Cc:	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-btrfs@...r.kernel.org, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
	linuxram@...ux.vnet.ibm.com, viro@...iv.linux.org.uk,
	cmm@...ibm.com, tytso@....edu, marco.stornelli@...il.com,
	stroetmann@...olinux.com, diegocg@...il.com, chris@...muel.org,
	Zhi Yong Wu <wuzhy@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 07/10] vfs: fork one kthread to update data temperature

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 08:56:32PM +0800, zwu.kernel@...il.com wrote:
> From: Zhi Yong Wu <wuzhy@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
>
>   Fork and run one kernel kthread to calculate
> that temperature based on some metrics kept
> in custom frequency data structs, and store
> the info in the hash table.

No new kthreads, please. Use a per-superblock workqueue and a struct
delayed_work to run periodic work on each superblock.

That will also remove all the nasty, nasty
!hot_track_temperature_update_kthread checks from the code, too.

Also, I'd separate the work that the workqueue does from the patch
that introduces the work queue. That way there is only one new thing
to comment on in the patch. Further, I'd separate the aging code
from the code that updates the temperature map into it's own patch
as well..

Finally, you're going to need a shrinker to control the amount of
memory that is used in tracking hot regions - if we are throwing
inodes out of memory due to memory pressure, we most definitely are
going to need to reduce the amount of memory the tracking code is
using, even if it means losing useful information (i.e. the shrinker
accelerates the aging process).

Given the above, and the other comments earlier in the series,
there's not a lot of point in me spending time commenting on ethe
code in detail here as it will change significantly as a result of
all the earlier comments....

Cheers,

Dave.
--