Date:	Wed, 03 Oct 2012 09:34:32 +0530
From:	"Srivatsa S. Bhat" <srivatsa.bhat@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com
CC:	Jiri Kosina <jkosina@...e.cz>,
	"Paul E. McKenney" <paul.mckenney@...aro.org>,
	Josh Triplett <josh@...htriplett.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Lockdep complains about commit 1331e7a1bb ("rcu: Remove _rcu_barrier()
 dependency on __stop_machine()")

On 10/03/2012 09:14 AM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 09:05:31AM +0530, Srivatsa S. Bhat wrote:

>>> I am using SLAB here.
>>>
>>> The scenario I think is very well possible:
>>>

>>> 	CPU 0				CPU 1
>>> 	kmem_cache_destroy()
>>
>> What about the get_online_cpus() right here at CPU0 before
>> calling mutex_lock(slab_mutex)? How can the cpu_up() proceed
>> on CPU1?? I still don't get it... :(
>>
>> (kmem_cache_destroy() uses get/put_online_cpus() around acquiring
>> and releasing slab_mutex).
>
> The problem is that there is a CPU-hotplug notifier for slab, which
> establishes hotplug->slab.

Agreed.

>  Then having kmem_cache_destroy() call
> rcu_barrier() under the lock

Ah, that's where I disagree. kmem_cache_destroy() *cannot* proceed at
this point in time, because it has invoked get_online_cpus()! It simply
cannot be running past that point in the presence of a running hotplug
notifier! So, kmem_cache_destroy() should have been sleeping on the
hotplug lock, waiting for the notifier to release it, no?

> establishes slab->hotplug, which results
> in deadlock.  Jiri really did explain this in an earlier email
> message, but both of us managed to miss it.  ;-)

Maybe I'm just being blind, sorry! ;-)

Regards,
Srivatsa S. Bhat