Date:	Thu, 11 Oct 2012 20:49:16 +0200
From:	Sjur BRENDELAND <sjur.brandeland@...ricsson.com>
To:	Ohad Ben-Cohen <ohad@...ery.com>,
	Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@...cle.com>
Cc:	Fengguang Wu <fengguang.wu@...el.com>,
	"Linus Walleij (linus.walleij@...aro.org)" <linus.walleij@...aro.org>,
	"kernel-janitors@...r.kernel.org" <kernel-janitors@...r.kernel.org>,
	Sjur Brændeland <sjurbren@...il.com>
Subject: RE: [remoteproc:for-next 6/9] remoteproc_virtio.c:(.text+0x238e7e):
 undefined reference to `vring_transport_features'

> From: Ohad Ben-Cohen [mailto:ohad@...ery.com] Sent: 9. oktober 2012 16:39
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Dan Carpenter
>
> <dan.carpenter@...cle.com> wrote:
>> If it already compiles fine on x86 then there is no advantage to
>> disabling it.
>
> Not really; that's really a hardware question and not a software one.
>
> There are hardware devices that can go with any platform/architecture,
> e.g., WLAN chips. OTOH, there are a lot of hardware devices that are
> coupled with certain SoC, e.g. OMAP's remote processors.
>
> What I'm trying to understand is whether the STE modem device belongs
> to the former or latter group. It sounds like a modem belongs to the
> former group, but if it does belong to the latter, then the building
> of its driver should be possible only on the relevant
> platforms/architectures.

This driver is intended for NovaThor SoC and for a configuration with
LLI as the shared memory interface between the host and modem.
When using LLI as the shared memory interface the modem could be used
with any platform/architecture with little endian byte sex and a LLI
interface. So I guess this driver belongs in the former group you
mention, and should probably not be dependent on ARM only.

Thanks,
Sjur