Date:	Sun, 16 Dec 2012 22:00:32 -0800
From:	Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>
To:	Tony Lindgren <tony@...mide.com>
Cc:	Dave Jones <davej@...hat.com>,
	Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen@...com>,
	linux-omap <linux-omap@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-fbdev <linux-fbdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	Florian Tobias Schandinat <FlorianSchandinat@....de>,
	Felipe Balbi <balbi@...com>,
	Evgeniy Polyakov <zbr@...emap.net>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] fbdev changes for 3.8

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 12:35:37PM -0800, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Tony Lindgren <tony@...mide.com> [121216 09:49]:
> > * Dave Jones <davej@...hat.com> [121215 14:27]:
> > > On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 01:11:04PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > >  > On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen@...com> wrote:
> > >  > > Hi Linus,
> > >  > >
> > >  > > Florian, the fbdev maintainer, has been very busy lately, so I offered to send
> > >  > > the pull request for fbdev for this merge window.
> > >  >
> > >  > Pulled. However, with this I get the Kconfig question
> > >  >
> > >  >    OMAP2+ Display Subsystem support (OMAP2_DSS) [N/m/y/?] (NEW)
> > >  >
> > >  > which doesn't make a whole lot of sense on x86-64, unless there's
> > >  > something about OMAP2 that I don't know.
> > >  >
> > >  > So I'd suggest making that OMAP2_DSS be dependent on OMAP2. Or at
> > >  > least ARM. Because showing it to anybody else seems insane.
> > >  >
> > >  > Same goes for FB_OMAP2 for that matter. I realize that it's likely
> > >  > nice to get compile testing for this on x86-64 too, but if that's the
> > >  > intent, we need to think about it some more. I don't think it's good
> > >  > to ask actual normal users questions like this just for compile
> > >  > coverage.
> > >
> > > This OMAP stuff has been creeping into x86 builds for a while.
> > > Grep from my current build config ..
> > >
> > > # CONFIG_OMAP_OCP2SCP is not set
> > > # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_OMAP4 is not set
> > > # CONFIG_OMAP2_DSS is not set
> > > # CONFIG_OMAP_USB2 is not set
> > >
> > > There was some other arm-ism that does the same that I' currently forgetting,
> > > or maybe that got fixed..
> >
> > Those are all omap internal devices and should be all marked with
> > depends on ARCH_OMAP2PLUS.
> >
> > It's a different story for external devices that may be used on other
> > architectures.
> >
> > I only came up with one reason to compile internal devices for other
> > architectures: In some cases the driver subsystem maintainer may want to
> > be able to compile test subsystem wide changes without having to compile
> > for each target separately. But for those cases it's trivial to carry a
> > compile test patch that just drops the depends Kconfig entries.
>
> And here's a patch to limit the omap drivers above to omap only.

Do you think we could add a new symbol to debug options, something like
COMPILE_COVERAGE, and have drivers that can be compiled on platforms
other than ones having the hardware to do

	depend on ARCH_XXX || COMPILE_CONVERAGE

This way people who want to do compile coverage do not have to carry
patches and allyesconfig will pick this right up.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry