Date:	Wed, 16 Jan 2013 21:25:57 -0500
From:	Woody Suwalski <terraluna977@...il.com>
To:	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
CC:	Andreas Mohr <andi@...as.de>,
	USB list <linux-usb@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: Linux 3.8-rc1 - another regression on USB :-(

Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2013, Woody Suwalski wrote:
>
>>> Another important change is that the EHCI driver is now split into two
>>> modules.  That can slow down loading and affect the timing.
>>>
>>> Alan Stern
>>>
>> My testcase is a live initramfs + squash root.
>> The boot logic is as stable as can be - unchanged since 2.6.2x kernels.
>> And it was working fine till 3.8-rc1.
>>
>> The modules are insmoded in a fixed order:
>> usb-common, usbcore, xhci-hcd, ehci-hcd, uhci-hcd, ohci-hcd, usbhid,
>> usb_storage,...
> But apparently you don't insmod ehci-pci.  That could cause problems,
> if your EHCI controller is PCI-based.
>
>> If all USB is built as modules - I get read errors from USB drives when
>> accessing squash image, boot fails.
> What read errors?  What is the cause of these errors?
>
>> If usb-common and usbcore are built in, system seems to crawl with a
>> very slow USB, but boots. That could be caused by timing between hcd
>> modules.
> Do have a dmesg log with timestamps so we can see where things go slow?
> I suggest enabling CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME and CONFIG_USB_DEBUG.  You might
> even want CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG, although that often logs too much
> information.
>
>> If usb-common, usbcore and ehci-hcd are built-in, all works OK like
>> "before 3.8".
> What about ehci-pci?

Alan, it took me 2 times re-reading the email to notice...
You were talking about ehci-pci, not ehci-hcd... Old assumptions die hard...
Yep, that was it.
Catch22 - I would have noticed new dependency if I could boot, but to
boot I have had needed to notice the new dependency...

Case solved 8-)

Thanks, Woody