Date:	Mon, 25 Feb 2013 10:23:53 +0800
From:	Alex Shi <alex.shi@...el.com>
To:	Preeti U Murthy <preeti@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
CC:	torvalds@...ux-foundation.org, mingo@...hat.com,
	tglx@...utronix.de, akpm@...ux-foundation.org,
	arjan@...ux.intel.com, bp@...en8.de, pjt@...gle.com,
	namhyung@...nel.org, efault@....de, vincent.guittot@...aro.org,
	gregkh@...uxfoundation.org, viresh.kumar@...aro.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, morten.rasmussen@....com
Subject: Re: [patch v5 09/15] sched: add power aware scheduling in fork/exec/wake

On 02/25/2013 01:51 AM, Preeti U Murthy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 02/24/2013 02:57 PM, Alex Shi wrote:

>>> You'd be surprised, there's a fair number of workloads that have
>>> negligible runtime on wakeup.
>>
>> will appreciate if you like introduce some workload. :)
>> BTW, do you has some idea to handle them?
>> Actually, if tasks is just like transitory, it is also hard to catch
>> them in balance, like 'cyclitest -t 100' on my 4 LCPU laptop, vmstat
>> just can catch 1 or 2 tasks very second.

>>> We were planning to fix that now that its available.
>>
>> I had tried, but failed on aim9 benchmark. As a result I give up to use
>> utilization in performance balance.
>> Some trying and talking in the thread.
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/1/6/96
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/1/22/662

>>> Then its broken, it should very much still care about weight.
>>
>> Here power policy just use nr_running as the criteria to check if it's
>> eligible for power aware balance. when do balancing the load weight is
>> still the key judgment.

>>> You're failing to explain why utilization performs bad and you don't
>>> explain why nr_running is better. That things work simply isn't good
>>
>> Um, let me try to explain again, The utilisation need much time to
>> accumulate itself(345ms). Whenever with or without load weight, many
>> bursting tasks just give a minimum weight to the carrier CPU at the
>> first few ms. So, it is too easy to do a incorrect distribution here and
>> need migration on later periodic balancing.
>
> Why can't this be attacked in *either* of the following ways:
>
> 1.Attack this problem at the source, by ensuring that the utilisation is
> accumulated faster by making the update window smaller.

It is a double blade sword. Small period will response quickly, but
loses lots of history record. A extreme short period is just same as
current instant utilization.

> 2.Balance on nr->running only if you detect burst wakeups.
> Alex, you had released a patch earlier which could detect this right?

Yes, the patch is here:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/1/11/45

One of problem is the how to decide the criteria of the burst? If we set
5 waking up/ms is burst, we will lose 4 waking up/ms.
another problem is the burst detection cost, we need tracking a period
history info of the waking up, better on whole group. but that give the
extra cost in burst.

solution candidates:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/1/21/316
After talk with MikeG, I remove the runnable load avg in performance
load balance.

Using nr_running as instant utilization may narrow the power policy
suitable situation. -- consider for power consumption, a light but cpu
intensive task will cost much more power than a heavy load but run
occasionally task. And it fit all my benchmarks
aim7/hackbench/kbuild/cyclitest/netperf etc.

--
Thanks Alex