Date:	Mon, 11 Mar 2013 20:55:50 -0600
From:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
To:	Lijo Antony <lijo.kernel@...il.com>
Cc:	Simeon Bird <bladud@...il.com>,
	Linux Filesystem Development Mailinglist
	<linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: [Nepomuk] Better support for (desktop) file search / indexing applications

On 2013-03-10, at 6:06, Lijo Antony <lijo.kernel@...il.com> wrote:
> On 03/10/2013 08:51 AM, Simeon Bird wrote:
>>
>> We (nepomuk) recently looked at using fanotify, and indeed we would
>> need user watches, support for moves and recursive directory watches
>> (we need to support the case where /home is not a separate filesystem)
>> before it would be useful to us. If you are interested in adding
>> these, we would be delighted to use nepomuk as a test-case for them.
>>
>> We were wondering also if it would be possible to extend inotify a
>> little? Our wishlist is:
>>
>> 1) Recursive folder watches
>> 2) When a file moves, some way to get the destination without watching
>> the directory it moved to, so moves can be tracked without watching
>> every file on the system.
>
> I am also interested in these features. As of now, my solutions are,
>
> 1) When the limit is reached, ask the user to increase the limit and restart the application.
>
> 2) When top level directory move is detected, do a file system search based on inode to find out the new location. Very slow and not fool proof.

For Lustre, we implemented something similar to inotify with some
improvements that are possible because we limit the backend
filesystems that it runs on (ext4 and ZFS currently, but would also be
possible on Btrfs as well).

For #1 (event recording) we have a persistent transactional ChangeLog
that is updated atomically with the metadata operation (create, rename,
unlink, etc).  This allows external applications to be notified of changes
in the whole filesystem, even if there are modifications while the watcher was
not running (to some limited extent). It is possible to limit the types of events
that are recorded in the ChangeLog, but not necessarily by pathname yet.
This is used for HSM and remote filesystem replication today.

For #2, we have a function "fid2path" that will generate in O(1) each
pathname of a file given the FID (essentially the inode number). This is
possible because each inode keeps an xattr ("link") that is updated for each link
or rename of the inode with the parent directory FID and directory entry name.

The "link" xattr is relatively low cost, since the inode needs to be updated for
each link/rename/unlink anyway (nlinks and ctime), and in the overwhelmingly
common case if a single link on a file there is only a single entry in the xattr,
so it can fit inside the inode.

>From the list of links, we can walk the namespace in reverse order with
fid2path() to generate all if the pathnames of an inode. Something
similar would also allow you to find the target directory of a renamed file
without having to watch all of the directories.

Cheers, Andreas