Date:	Tue, 16 Apr 2013 19:24:13 -0500
From:	Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>
To:	Sarah Sharp <sarah.a.sharp@...ux.intel.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-doc@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC 4/7] Docs: Add info on supported kernels to
 REPORTING-BUGS.

On 04/15/2013 12:33:33 PM, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> One of the most common frustrations maintainers have with bug
> reporters
> is the email that starts with "I have a two year old kernel from an
> embedded vendor with some random drivers and fixes thrown in, and it's
> crashing".
>
> Be specific about what kernel versions the upstream maintainers will
> fix
> bugs in, and direct bug reporters to their Linux distribution or
> embedded vendor if the bug is in an unsupported kernel.

Back in 2006 I wrote a section of the BusyBox FAQ about this:

http://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/docs/busybox.net/FAQ.html?id=95718b3091690f1293e3069da75d0d4be2665d0e#n359

(Alas, the current version of that page had a large project specific
chunk dumped into the middle of it, but the text I linked to out of the
repo is reasonably generic to just about any project. Feel free to lift
anything that's useful. :)

Rob--