Date:	Fri, 10 May 2013 10:04:44 -0400
From:	David Oostdyk <daveo@...mit.edu>
To:	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: high-speed disk I/O is CPU-bound?

Hello,

I have a few relatively high-end systems with hardware RAIDs which are
being used for recording systems, and I'm trying to get a better
understanding of contiguous write performance.

The hardware that I've tested with includes two high-end Intel E5-2600
and E5-4600 (~3GHz) series systems, as well as a slightly older Xeon
5600 system.  The JBODs include a 45x3.5" JBOD, a 28x3.5" JBOD (with
either 7200RPM or 10kRPM SAS drives), and a 24x2.5" JBOD with 10kRPM
drives.  I've tried LSI controllers (9285-8e, 9266-8i, as well as the
integrated Intel LSI controllers) as well as Adaptec Series 7 RAID
controllers (72405 and 71685).

Normally I'll setup the RAIDs as RAID60 and format them as XFS, but the
exact RAID level, filesystem type, and even RAID hardware don't seem to
matter very much from my observations (but I'm willing to try any
suggestions).  As a basic benchmark, I have an application that simply
writes the same buffer (say, 128MB) to disk repeatedly. Alternatively
you could use the "dd" utility.  (For these benchmarks, I set
/proc/sys/vm/dirty_bytes to 512M or lower, since these systems have a
lot of RAM.)

The basic observations are:

1.  "single-threaded" writes, either a file on the mounted filesystem or
with a "dd" to the raw RAID device, seem to be limited to
1200-1400MB/sec.  These numbers vary slightly based on whether
TurboBoost is affecting the writing process or not.  "top" will show
this process running at 100% CPU.

2.  With two benchmarks running on the same device, I see aggregate
write speeds of up to ~2.4GB/sec, which is closer to what I'd expect the
drives of being able to deliver.  This can either be with two
applications writing to separate files on the same mounted file system,
or two separate "dd" applications writing to distinct locations on the
raw device.  (Increasing the number of writers beyond two does not seem
to increase aggregate performance; "top" will show both processes
running at perhaps 80% CPU).

3.  I haven't been able to find any tricks (lio_listio, multiple threads
writing to distinct file offsets, etc) that seem to deliver higher write
speeds when writing to a single file.  (This might be xfs-specific, though)

4.  Cheap tricks like making a software RAID0 of two hardware RAID
devices does not deliver any improved performance for single-threaded
writes.  (Have not thoroughly tested this configuration fully with
multiple writers, though.)

5.  Similar hardware on Windows seems to be able to deliver >3GB/sec
write speeds on a single-threaded writes, and the trick of making a
software RAID0 of two hardware RAIDs does deliver increased write
speeds.  (I only point this out to say that I think the hardware is not
necessarily the bottleneck.)

The question is, is it possible that high-speed I/O to these hardware
RAIDs could actually be CPU-bound above ~1400MB/sec?

It seems to be the only explanation of the benchmarks that I've been
seeing, but I don't know where to start looking to really determine the
bottleneck.  I'm certainly open to suggestions to running different
configurations or benchmarks.

Thanks for any help/advice!
Dave O.