Date:	Wed, 10 Jul 2013 19:11:53 -0700
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Michal Marek <mmarek@...e.cz>
Cc:	Jan Beulich <JBeulich@...e.com>, dt.tangr@...il.com,
	Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org>,
	James Hogan <james.hogan@...tec.com>,
	Christian Kujau <lists@...dbynature.de>,
	Mike Marciniszyn <mike.marciniszyn@...el.com>,
	Nicolas Dichtel <nicolas.dichtel@...nd.com>,
	robert.richter@...xeda.com,
	"Yaakov (Cygwin/X)" <yselkowitz@...rs.sourceforge.net>,
	zzs0213@...il.com,
Subject: Re: [GIT] kbuild changes for v3.11-rc1

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 6:37 AM, Michal Marek <mmarek@...e.cz> wrote:

> please pull the kbuild bits for v3.11-rc1:

THIS IS SOME HORRIBLY BROKEN CRAP.

"make install" and "make modules_install" ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT MODIFY
THE SOURCE TREE.

Dammit, this has happened before, and it was broken then, and it is broken now.

If they do, they are *F*CKING*BROKEN*. They are really really badly
broken, since we do *not* want root to write to the source tree. You
should build the tree as a normal user, and install as root, and
dammit, if there are any root-owned files in the source tree after
that "make install", then the build system is broken.

You need to start being more careful. And I would seriously suggest
you start doing some explicit testing for this. You can do things like
"find . -user root", and if that shows a single file in the kernel
tree after a "make [modules_]install", then there's a problem.

Commit d2aae8477cd00325bb7c7c7e95be488088900c48 is broken. It causes
root to re-write "include/config/kernel.release".

There is no excuse for this. That commit is shit. There's no way in
hell that "make modules_install" should ever rebuild anything, so
adding that kind of dependency is fundamentally wrong and broken.

And that totally crap commit is even marked for stable.

I hate hate hate when this kind of crap happens. In this case I
noticed it because the git commit abbreviation rules are different for
root and for a normal user on my machine, and so running that
version-generation script as root actually GIVES THE WRONG ANSWER - it
gives a different version than the one the kernel was actually built
with.

So no. We do *not* start adding random dependencies to the install
targets. Because they damn well should not be building anything.

                           Linus