Date:	Mon, 15 Jul 2013 12:03:30 +1000
From:	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
	linux-next@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Linus-next stats (Was: Linux 3.11-rc1)

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 16:57:23 -0700 Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:

> This merge window was smaller in terms of number of commits than the
> 3.10 merge window, but we actually have more new lines. Most of that
> seems to be in staging - a full third of all changes by line-count is
> staging, and merging in Lustre is the bulk of that. Let's see how that
> all turns out, I have to say that we don't have a great track record
> on merging filesystems through staging.
>
> Ignoring the lustre merge, I think this really was a somewhat calmer
> merge window. We had a few trees with problems, and we have an
> on-going debate about stable patches that was triggered largely thanks
> to this merge window, so now we'll have something to discuss for the
> kernel summit. But on the whole, I suspect we might be starting to see
> the traditional summer slump (Australia notwithstanding).

As usual, the executive friendly graph is at
http://neuling.org/linux-next-size.html :-)

(No merge commits counted, next-20130701 was the linux-next based on v3.10)

Commits in v3.11-rc1 (relative to v3.10): 9494
Commits in next-20130701:		  8929
Commits with the same SHA1:		  7670
Commits with the same patch_id:		   759	(1)
Commits with the same subject line:	    55	(1)

(1) not counting those in the lines above.

So commits in -rc1 that were "in" next-20130701:	8484	89.4%
			(essentially unchanged from 89.3% last time)
Commits in -rc1 that were not in next-20120722:		1010	10.6%

Pretty good, but it would be still nice to figure out where the last lot
came from.  I have the "git log --oneline --no-walk" list if someone
wants them.

Some breakdown of that list:

Top ten first word of commit summary:

     80 btrfs
     41 arm
     35 [scsi]
     32 net
     28 drm/exynos
     25 perf
     25 drm/radeon/dpm
     19 vxlan
     17 input
     16 tracing

Top ten authors:

     56 Ben Skeggs <bskeggs@...hat.com>
     36 Alex Deucher <alexander.deucher@....com>
     27 Josef Bacik <jbacik@...ionio.com>
     24 Miao Xie <miaox@...fujitsu.com>
     16 J. Bruce Fields <bfields@...hat.com>
     16 Bart Van Assche <bvanassche@....org>
     13 Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>
     12 Michael Ellerman <michael@...erman.id.au>
     12 Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>
     10 Wei Yongjun <yongjun_wei@...ndmicro.com.cn>

Top ten commiters:

    130 David S. Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
     81 Josef Bacik <jbacik@...ionio.com>
     68 Ben Skeggs <bskeggs@...hat.com>
     64 Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
     39 Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@...nel.crashing.org>
     37 Alex Deucher <alexander.deucher@....com>
     35 James Bottomley <JBottomley@...allels.com>
     24 Dave Airlie <airlied@...hat.com>
     23 Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
     23 Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...hat.com>

Quite a few of these could be bug fixes (especially DaveM's).

There are also 444 commits in next-20130701 that didn't make it into v3.11-rc1.

Top twelve first word of commit summary:

     66 arm
     37 mtd
     31 drm/i915
     11 rsxx
     10 ocfs2
      9 xen-blkback
      8 selinux
      7 kdb
      6 drbd
      6 cris
      6 clocksource
      6 acpi

Top ten authors:

     43 Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
     28 Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@...driver.com>
     19 Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@...gutronix.de>
     18 Dave Chinner <dchinner@...hat.com>
     15 Alexander Shiyan <shc_work@...l.ru>
     12 Roger Pau Monne <roger.pau@...rix.com>
     12 Michal Simek <michal.simek@...inx.com>
     11 Philip J Kelleher <pjk1939@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
     10 Joern Engel <joern@...fs.org>
     10 Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter@...ll.ch>

Some of Andrew's patches are fixes for other patches in his tree (and
have been merged into those).  Paul's patches are the __cpuinit removal
series that should be applied right after -rc1.

Top ten commiters:

    184 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>
     39 Artem Bityutskiy <artem.bityutskiy@...ux.intel.com>
     36 Shawn Guo <shawn.guo@...aro.org>
     31 Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter@...ll.ch>
     18 Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@...cle.com>
     17 Michal Simek <michal.simek@...inx.com>
     17 Jens Axboe <axboe@...nel.dk>
     14 Simon Horman <horms+renesas@...ge.net.au>
     14 Joern Engel <joern@...fs.org>
     11 Rafael J. Wysocki <rafael.j.wysocki@...el.com>

Well, that's embarrasing :-)  Those commits by me are from the quilt
series (including Andrew's mmotm tree).

Some of the above will have been merged into other patches or replaced, I
guess.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@...b.auug.org.au