Date:	Mon, 15 Jul 2013 05:48:37 +0200
From:	Mihai Moldovan <ionic@...ic.de>
To:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Oops (NULL ptr deref) while loading some module

* On 15.07.2013 01:54 AM, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
> This is obviously happening while booting and udev is loading *some* module, but
> I have no idea which module is affected as such.

Quick correction: actually, at that time udev hasn't even started. udev is being
started by my initramfs one good second later, so at the time of those Oopses,
the root fs wasn't even mounted yet. Maybe the initramfs, but I'm not too sure
either.

[    4.769188] dracut: dracut-029
[    4.789227] systemd-udevd[1984]: starting version 204

What is the kernel trying to modprobe? Off what location, exactly?

It can't be /, as that isn't even mounted yet.

The initramfs? Maybe, but this has NO modules packed up whatsoever. I just
double-checked.

root@...ery/tmp/foo# ls lib/modules/3.10.1-OSS4.2-dirty
modules.alias  modules.alias.bin  modules.builtin  modules.builtin.bin
modules.dep  modules.dep.bin  modules.devname  modules.order  modules.softdep
modules.symbols  modules.symbols.bin

The initramfs is solely used for assembling the RAID arrays when booting and
does not include any modules.

I just upgraded to 3.10.1 and am still seeing this.

Interesting issue, isn't it? :)

Mihai

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (4506 bytes)