Date:	Fri, 09 Aug 2013 08:00:07 +0200
From:	Thomas Richter <richter@....uni-stuttgart.de>
To:	stern@...land.harvard.edu, linux@...do.de,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: [HANG] Trouble with NEC-based USB adapter in PCMCIA slot on E7110

Hi Alan, hi Dominik,

maybe you want me to help out a bit - I'm having trouble getting a
Delock PCMCIA to USB-2 adapter to work under linux, with strange
behavior in some situations. The trouble is that while I can *read* via
fast (usb 2.0) transfers from the port, an ehci-triggered write just
locks up (it does not Oops, though) and I'm pretty much stuck narrowing
down the problem.

Here are some more details on the machine:

The USB 2 adapter chip is from NEC: 03:00.1 0c03: 1033:00e0 (rev 05)
and so is its ohci companion: 03:00.0 0c03: 1033:0035.

Both of them sit on a delock PMCCIA card, which hangs on a O2 Micro
OZ6933/711E1 cardbus bridge:

02:0a.0 0607: 1217:6933 (rev 02)
02:0a.1 0607: 1217:6933 (rev 02)

The trouble is as follows: A read from a USB stick or an external
harddisk through the scsi subsystem issues a SCSI command 28 (read
block), and this works fine. A write (SCSI command 2A) locks up. The
machine remains usable, but the command never completes. Some time later
first the subsystem tries to reset the bus, does not succeed and then
gives up. The harddisk on the USB even worse seems to "believe" to
receive some data, and then thankfully erases the superblock of the ext2
partition on it as soon as I try to mount it r/w. Read-only mounts work
(no write commands involved). Happy happy joy joy!

It *also* works to disable the ehci portion of the NEC chip and just go
through the companion. Transfer through ohci is fine (but, of course,
slow, and besides the point since that's exactly what I need the adapter
for).

The problem appears on various kernels, I've tested 3.10.5 (build
myself), 3.2.0-4-686-pae (vanilly debian wheezy kernel), 2.6.32-5-686
(vanilla debian squeeze kernel). Interestingly, the chip *does* work
under an older Knoppix (knoppix 5.0.1) with a 2.6.19.1 kernel. As far as
I can read the notes, the ehci and cardbus interfaces have not been
altered and are as they came with 2.6.19.1. I also checked I/O goes
through high speed and not usb 1 (unloaded ohci, loaded ehci, inserted
the stick - writing works!)

What is also strange (but an unrelated problem) is that I cannot make
grub2 boot from the knoppix kernel. It just resets after having loaded
kernel and initrd, immediately. I neither can build 2.6.19.1 manually
unaltered as it depends on older userspace tools. After a bit of
patching, I could get it to compile with gcc-4.7, but the kernel
otherwise behaves as the Knoppix kernel: Just reboots after grub 2
loaded it.

I also tried a newer knoppix with a 3.5 kernel, but this again locks up
on writing, so something must have changed between 2.6.19.1 and
2.6.32.5. Or something changed in knoppix or debian userland which I
cannot test for because the 2.6.19.1 does not run here from the disk.

The system is an old Fujitsu E7110 with a debian wheezy userland with
1GB of memory and an 80GB harddisk, with a Pentium 4-M dinosaur
processor at 1.7Ghz featuring speedstep. Whether speedstep is enabled or
disabled does not matter as far as the "stuck write" is concerned, the
p4-clockmodulation module *is not* loaded and hence not the culprit.

Greetings,
	Thomas

PS: Dear LKLM readers, please set me CC on any responses that would
otherwise go through the mailing list only.