Date:	Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:20:56 +0100
From:	Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@....linux.org.uk>
To:	Markus Pargmann <mpa@...gutronix.de>
Cc:	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
	kernel@...gutronix.de, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org
Subject: Re: dev->of_node overwrite can cause device loading with different
	driver

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 09:16:53AM +0200, Markus Pargmann wrote:
> I think there are three options to solve this:
>
> 1. Break out of the driver list iteration loop as soon as a driver probe
>    function fails. This way there is no possibility for another driver
>    to be probed with a device struct that was changed by the first
>    driver. But it would remove the support to fall back to
>    another driver for a device. I am not aware of any device that is
>    supported by multiple drivers.

What if the incorrect driver (the one which created this platform device)
is the one which was matched first?

> 2. We could restore the device struct completely or partially (only
>    of_node) after a probe failure. This would avoid driver probes with
>    unclean device structs, but introduces some overhead.

I don't think it's about changing an existing device structure.  The
problem is more to do with this:

- We have a platform device with an associated of_node.
- The of_node is used to match it to its device driver.
- This device driver spawns a new platform device, and copies the
  of_node to the new platform device (so that the _intended_ driver
  can get access to the DT properties)
- The DD layer tries to match this new platform device with a driver,
  and _can_ match this new platform device against the device driver
  which created it due to the of_node matching.

There's two solutions here:

1. get rid of this yucky "lets spawn a new device" stuff - if you
   actually work out what's going on with MUSB and its use of this
   platform device, it's _really_ horrid, and that's putting it
   mildly.  Let's call the device being probed, devA, and briefly:

	new_dev = platform_device_alloc();

	devA->platform_data = glue
	glue->dev = devA
	glue->musb = new_dev
	new_dev->parent = devA

	set_drvdata(devA, glue)

	platform_device_add(new_dev);

   musb->controller is the new device, callbacks into this layer do:

	glue = get_drvdata(musb->controller->parent)

   that's not too bad, because this is accessing devA's driver data
   from within its owning driver... until you find this:

	musb = glue_to_musb(glue)

   which is defined as:

	#define glue_to_musb(g)         platform_get_drvdata(g->musb)

   glue->musb is the _child_ platform device, and we're accessing the
   child's driver data here.

   This seems to me to be a layering violation, and also rather racy when
   you consider that glue_to_musb() gets used from workqueue contexts
   (and I don't see a flush_workqueue() call in these stub drivers.)
   What if the new platform device gets unbound just before the workqueue
   fires?

   Another thing to note here is that platform_device_add_data() takes a
   copy of the data - in the case of omap2430, this is kzalloc'd but
   is pointlessly kept around until this driver is removed (via the devm_
   mechanisms.)

   The last thing I don't like in these drivers is this:

        memset(musb_resources, 0x00, sizeof(*musb_resources) *
                        ARRAY_SIZE(musb_resources));

        musb_resources[0].name = pdev->resource[0].name;
        musb_resources[0].start = pdev->resource[0].start;
        musb_resources[0].end = pdev->resource[0].end;
        musb_resources[0].flags = pdev->resource[0].flags;

        musb_resources[1].name = pdev->resource[1].name;
        musb_resources[1].start = pdev->resource[1].start;
        musb_resources[1].end = pdev->resource[1].end;
        musb_resources[1].flags = pdev->resource[1].flags;

        musb_resources[2].name = pdev->resource[2].name;
        musb_resources[2].start = pdev->resource[2].start;
        musb_resources[2].end = pdev->resource[2].end;
        musb_resources[2].flags = pdev->resource[2].flags;

        ret = platform_device_add_resources(musb, musb_resources,
                        ARRAY_SIZE(musb_resources));

   A little knowledge of the driver model will reveal that the above
   is utterly pointless - and can be simplified to:

	ret = platform_device_add_resources(musb, pdev->resource,
					    pdev->num_resources);

   as platform_device_add_resources() copies the passed resource
   structures via kmemdup() already.  There's no reason for this
   device driver to make its own copy of the resources just to have
   them re-copied.  It's also a lot safer in case fewer than three
   resources are supplied.  It's also a lot less hastle if additional
   resources are added (like what's happened recently to these drivers.)

2. don't pass the of_node via the platform_device, but as part of
   the platform device's data.

Is there any reason why musb isn't implemented as a library which these
stub drivers can hook into?

I'd much prefer (1), because it gets rid of the horrid dma_mask stuff in
these drivers, turning it more into a "conventional" driver.