Date:	Wed, 23 Oct 2013 07:41:54 +0200
From:	Dirk Gouders <dirk@...ders.net>
To:	Simon Wunderlich <sw@...onwunderlich.de>
Cc:	Simon Wunderlich <simon.wunderlich@...03.tu-chemnitz.de>,
	Simon Wunderlich <siwu@....tu-chemnitz.de>,
	Mathias Kretschmer <mathias.kretschmer@...us.fraunhofer.de>,
	Johannes Berg <johannes.berg@...el.com>,
	Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [BUG bisected] WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 1550 at net/wireless/chan.c:373 cfg80211_chandef_usable+0x30/0x15f()

Hi Simon,

Simon Wunderlich <sw@...onwunderlich.de> writes:

> Hey Dirk,
>
>> No need for censorship, I did some quick tests and stripped down my
>> wpa_supplicant.conf to a single entry.  With this configuration I get a
>> lot of traces:
>>
>> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
>> eapol_version=1
>> ap_scan=1
>> fast_reauth=1
>>
>> network={
>> 	frequency=2412
>> 	group=TKIP
>> 	key_mgmt=NONE
>> 	mode=1
>> 	pairwise=NONE
>> 	ssid="Nokia_n9"
>> }
>>
>> I will also attach a dmesg output of my tests.
>>
>> >  * your wpa_supplicant command line parameters when running
>>
>> It is running with a wpa_cli like this:
>>
>> /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf \
>>     -W -B -i wlp4s0 -P /var/run/wpa_supplicant-wlp4s0.pid
>> /usr/bin/wpa_cli -a /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_cli.sh \
>>     -p /var/run/wpa_supplicant -i wlp4s0 -P /var/run/wpa_cli-wlp4s0.pid -B
>>

> Thanks a lot for this, I could reproduce the issue and fix it, will send the fix
> in a minute - please try and report back.

thanks a lot, will send my test result immediately.

> Just two notes on your setup in case you are interested:

Yes, I am interested - I was just afraid to ask, because I didn't want
to cause too much noise with probably trivial problems ;-)

>  * Your wpa-supplicant setup looks a little like an old WPA-NONE setup, but
> this is not supported anymore and will not encrypt your messages. Please have
> a look at IBSS/RSN if you want encryption.

Yes, I very rarely use that connection and always have in mind that it
is unencrypted.  I will have a look at this but expect the mobile phone
side to be the hard one to get it to offer reliable encryption.

>  * Your wpa_supplicant uses the old wext interface to the kernel. This is
> deprecated, it would better to use the (not so) new nl80211 interface instead.
> You will also get goodies such as 802.11n rates in ad-hoc mode if your
> hardware supports it. :)

Thats good to know, I will change my setup accordingly.

Thanks again for your help,

Dirk