Date:	Fri, 25 Oct 2013 00:27:42 +0000
From:	"Liu, Chuansheng" <chuansheng.liu@...el.com>
To:	Ben Widawsky <ben@...dawsk.net>,
	Chris Wilson <chris@...is-wilson.co.uk>,
	"daniel.vetter@...ll.ch" <daniel.vetter@...ll.ch>,
	"airlied@...ux.ie" <airlied@...ux.ie>,
	"intel-gfx@...ts.freedesktop.org" <intel-gfx@...ts.freedesktop.org>,
	"dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org" <dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org>,
	"Li, Fei" <fei.li@...el.com>
Subject: RE: [Intel-gfx] drm/i915: Avoid accessing the stolen address when
 it is unavailable

Hello Chris and Ben,

In case of dev_priv->mm.stolen_base == NULL, and the valleyview_setup_pctx() is called
at the first time, it will call i915_gem_object_create_stolen_for_preallocated(), which should
should return NULL always due to (!drm_mm_initialized(&dev_priv->mm.stolen)).

After that, every time specially when doing pm operation, the above scenario will
be called again and again.

Here this patch is to save some time for PM operation, we do not need to read
VLV_PCBR and pcbr_offset calculation in case of stolen_base == NULL.

Is it making sense? Thanks.

> I agree. We should start treating these things as errors since no
> RPS/RC6 is essentially not what anyone wants.
>
> DRM_DEBUG_DRIVER, and add a check in valleyview_enable_rps for the pctx
> value.
The pctx is already checked in valleyview_disable_rps().
Do we need more checking in case of pctx == NULL?