Date:	Sun, 17 Nov 2013 20:23:27 +0900
From:	Akira Hayakawa <ruby.wktk@...il.com>
To:	dm-devel@...hat.com
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, david@...morbit.com,
	mpatocka@...hat.com, snitzer@...hat.com, ruby.wktk@...il.com
Subject: Re: dm-writeboost: Progress Report

Hi, DM Guys,

Another progress report

1) Changed the .ctr arguments
Before changed it had two major problems

writeboost <backing dev> <cache dev>
           [segment size order]
           [rambuf pool amount]

Problem i)
dm-writeboost will add support for persistent memory as the RAM buffer.
In detail, I will support two other types of medium as the RAM buffer:
- (a) A block device: persistent memory will first be provided with a block interface.
- (b) A persistent memory with newly designed interface: Still in discussion.

I don't like to add new target type like writeboost-nv-block and writeboost-nv
but like to switch the medium to use by a type flag in .ctr.
The reason is increasing the target types will probably increase the
implementation in userland (like LVM2).

Problem ii)
Whereas the first two arguments are essential
the successive two are only optional.
The problem is the optional arguments are ordered.
The user who want to set rambuf pool amount but keep the
segment size order as the default will be bothered.

To solve these problems I changed the .ctr design.
It has
- "type" arguments as the first argument
- key-value-like optional parameters
  (which is similar to that of dm-flakey)

           #optional args
           [segment_size_order val]
           [rambuf_pool_amount val]

Three types (0,1,2) will be supported but
only for type 0 is implemented at present.
For type 1 (using block device as the ram buffer)
can be implemented right now but
I want to merge this software to upstream before that
because dm-writeboost has benefit with solely type 0.

For example the arguments for type 1 will be

2) .ctr now uses dm_arg_set. Deleted handmade ARG_EXIST macro.
dm driver should use dm_arg_set and its methods (such as dm_read_arg).
writeboost driver didn't use it but does at present.

Thanks,
Akira