Date:	Thu, 5 Dec 2013 19:05:41 +0000
From:	Christoph Lameter <cl@...ux.com>
To:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>
cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.cz>,
	KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>,
	Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>,
	Mel Gorman <mgorman@...e.de>, Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>,
	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...nel.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	cgroups@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch 3/8] mm, mempolicy: remove per-process flag

On Wed, 4 Dec 2013, David Rientjes wrote:

> Right, but it turns out not to matter in practice.  As one of the non-
> default CONFIG_SLAB users, and PF_MEMPOLICY only does something for
> CONFIG_SLAB, this patch tested to not show any degradation for specjbb
> which stresses the allocator in terms of throughput:
>
> 	   with patch: 128761.54 SPECjbb2005 bops
> 	without patch: 127576.65 SPECjbb2005 bops

Specjbb? What does Java have to do with this?
Can you run the synthetic in kernel slab benchmark.

Like this one https://lkml.org/lkml/2009/10/13/459

> These per-process flags are a scarce resource so I don't think
> PF_MEMPOLICY warrants a bit when it's not shown to be advantageous in
> configurations without mempolicy usage where it's intended to optimize,
> especially for a non-default slab allocator.

PF_MEMPOLICY was advantageous when Paul Jackson introduced and benchmarked
it.

SLUB supports mempolicies through allocate_pages but it will allocate all
objects out of one slab pages before retrieving another page following the
policy. Thats why PF_MEMPOLICY and the other per object handling can be
avoided in its fastpath. Thus PF_MEMPOLICY is not that important there.

However, SLAB is still the allocator in use for RHEL which puts some
importance on still supporting SLAB.