Date:	Mon, 16 Dec 2013 18:15:27 +0100
From:	Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.cz>
To:	Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>
Cc:	Li Zefan <lizefan@...wei.com>, Hugh Dickins <hughd@...gle.com>,
	Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>,
	KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>,
	linux-mm@...ck.org, cgroups@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 3.13-rc breaks MEMCG_SWAP

On Mon 16-12-13 11:41:54, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 11:40:42AM +0100, Michal Hocko wrote:

> > > How would this work? The task which pushed the memory to the swap is
> > > still alive (living in a different group) and the swap will be there
> > > after the last reference to css as well.
> >
> > Or did you mean to get css reference in swap_cgroup_record and release
> > it in __mem_cgroup_try_charge_swapin?
>
> We already do that, swap records hold a css reference.  We do the put
> in mem_cgroup_uncharge_swap().

Dohh! You are right I have totally missed that the css_get is burried in
__mem_cgroup_uncharge_common and the counterpart is in mem_cgroup_uncharge_swap
(which is less unexpected).

> It really strikes me as odd that we recycle the cgroup ID while there
> are still references to the cgroup in circulation.

That is true but even with this fixed I still think that the Hugh's
approach makes a lot of sense.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs