Date:	Fri, 3 Jan 2014 21:11:29 -0800
From:	Olof Johansson <olof@...om.net>
To:	Nicolas Ferre <nicolas.ferre@...el.com>
Cc:	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>,
	Simon Horman <horms@...ge.net.au>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
	"linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org"
	<linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>,
	"linux-next@...r.kernel.org" <linux-next@...r.kernel.org>,
	Boris BREZILLON <b.brezillon@...rkiz.com>,
	Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart+renesas@...asonboard.com>,
	Mike Turquette <mturquette@...aro.org>
Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the renesas tree with the arm-soc tree

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Nicolas Ferre <nicolas.ferre@...el.com> wrote:
> On 16/12/2013 00:47, Stephen Rothwell :
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> Today's linux-next merge of the renesas tree got a conflict in
>> drivers/clk/Makefile between commit 0ad6125b1579 ("clk: at91: add PMC
>> base support") from the arm-soc tree and commit 10cdfe9f327a ("clk:
>> shmobile: Add R-Car Gen2 clocks support") from the renesas tree.
>>
>> I fixed it up (see below) and can carry the fix as necessary (no action
>> is required).
>
> Fine for me.

Simon, Nicolas,

<mini-rant>

While a very minor issue, this should have been altogether avoided
with a little more attention when applying patches. The Makefile is
sorted, and you've appended new lines to the end instead of in the
place they're supposed to go. Sure, others have done the same mistake
in a few places but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to keep it
sorted.

The very reason _to_ sort a Makefile is to avoid these needless
add-add conflicts when two people append to the same unsorted list.

Now I can't resolve it properly and move the entries when I do the
same merge (and get the same conflict), because that will cause a
third conflict for Stephen, and he's about to return from vacation and
is going to cuss at us if we cause too many new conflicts in one day.
:)

</mini-rant>

So, best choice is to keep the unsortedness now, and have Mike resort
his Makefile for us at the end of the merge window. And keep a little
closer eye on Makefile and Kconfig additions in the future. :)

-Olof